Learn how to protect seniors from the deceptive practices of scammers who target the elderly living in care communities. The following real-life story examples give the latest scams that help drive home the seriousness of con games that target older adults:
1. Scammers go to the front door of residences in an independent living community to distract the owners while an accomplice goes to the back of the house, enters and steals items.
2. Seniors, who were collectors of expensive art, are selling their house and moving to an assisted living facility. The “for sale” sign is posted on the front lawn. A scammer comes to the door and buys the art for a fraction of what it is worth.
3. A senior orders a weight-loss product on the internet. When she tries to cancel, she is unable to do so; she can never reach anyone. A Home Instead Senior Care staff member finally gets the order stopped.
4. In one care facility, scammers arrive and claim to be family for the purpose of stealing personal information to perpetrate identity theft.
5. A senior notices her van is using inordinate amounts of oil. Her son-in-law takes the vehicle to a mechanic, who discovers that the oil filter has never been changed even though she has been paying for regular maintenance.
For more information or to obtain a free Senior Fraud Protection Kit, contact the Home Instead Senior Care office serving Mississauga ON at 905- 276-2273.
Home Care Mississauga helping older adults and elderly live independently and safely at home. Please call 905- 276-2273.
Home Instead offers free monthly newsletters with tips and advice for caregivers of elderly loved ones.
Each Home Instead Senior Care franchise is independently owned and operated.