Advice from Senior Care Experts
Traveling is an excellent opportunity to explore new places or visit familiar faces. When you age and have to take a myriad of medications, traveling can mess with regular routine. Do you need to follow the new time zone for that time-sensitive pill? What do you do when you are a few time zones away?
Go ahead and pack your suitcase. All it takes is a little preparation, and you can maintain your health while traveling. Caring for yourself is more important than taking care of things at home. It is about enjoying life to its fullest. At Home Instead Senior Care, we understand this and encourage families to keep traveling and seeking new adventures.
6 Tips to Take Medicines on Time when Traveling
Traveling disrupts our routines. When crossing time zones, it can be even more unsettling. Here is how you can continue to take your medications safely while crossing different time zones:
- Use a pill organizer: Taking more than one tablet or capsule requires the use of an organizer. There are options for days of the week or times of the day. It is a great way to track your prescription doses while traveling and make sure you don’t miss any.
- Use your watch: For pills that must be taken at a specific time, keep a watch on your home time. This way you can make sure you are taking them at the time your body is used to.
- Set phone alarms: If you are not wearing a watch, set alarms on your phone for timely reminders.
- Adjust to time differences: Heading out of town into different time zones over a short span of days requires you to adjust the times to take your pills. The goal is not to take more than you have been prescribed in a 24-hour period. Aim for a bigger gap if you have to, instead of a smaller one between doses.
- Take pills as prescribed: If you need to take a tablet with food, be sure to keep a snack available. The same goes for pills that need to be taken on an empty stomach. Just because you are traveling does not mean you should change how it is taken.
- Talk to your doctor: Before you leave for your trip, talk with your doctor for suggestions on how to handle missed doses. In general, missing a dose for preventative pills such as for high blood pressure will not affect you as gravely as you think. A quick chat with your physician can help you understand what steps you should take.
Home Care to Set Seniors Up for Success
The routines you keep at home are critical for successful, healthy living. When you travel, maintaining these habits is possible with a little preparation. A home care professional from Home Instead Senior Care Kitchener-Waterloo, ON can help you develop regular habits for eating healthy, staying active, and taking your medicines on time.
Additional Important information
Other Senior Care Services: There are many unexpected situations for which you are not prepared. Home Instead Senior Care Kitchener-Waterloo, ON can help your family dealing with your special circumstances. Here some of our additional senior care services.
Benefits: Learn how home care benefits you and your family.
Quality Care: We are commitment to provide quality care for our clients. Read more about our Quality Home Care.
FAQ: Please visit our FAQ section to get answers to your questions about in home senior care in Kitchener-Waterloo, ON.