Tips to Help Caregivers
When you were little, your parents controlled many aspects of your life, your bedtime, what you ate, and how much television you watched. Eventually, you grew up, moved out, and started a life of your own. However, as your mom or dad ages and becomes more dependent on you, you may find that you are slipping into old habits, and Mom has opinions on everything. Of course, she’s your mom! So, how do you handle an elderly parent?
Take charge of the situation and get some back up when you hire a Personal Support Worker (PSW) from Home Instead Senior Care Mississauga. Our expert caregivers understand how seniors think and respond to growing older. Expect a pleasant yet firm hand in ensuring your Mom is well cared for with our many different services like household duties, and companionship. Let Mom and Dad age at home with dignity.
6 Tips for Dealing with an Elderly Parent
It won’t be easy, but it will be worth the effort to keep the peace and continue to enjoy one another. Thwart adversity in your relationship with these tips:
- Be understanding. Your parents have lived their lives independently. It is hard to realize that they can no longer do everything they used to. That loss of control can be pretty hard to take.
- Be aware that medications may be the culprit. If Dad was given new medication and is suddenly moody, it might be the drug. Keep track of personality shifts and speak to his doctor about them.
- Think about your family’s history. If Mom was always a strong personality, this might not change. Now is an excellent time to discuss this with her, especially as your relationship changes dynamics to that of caregiver and senior.
- Consider how you can use positive reinforcement. It may sound like you are dealing with a child; it will probably feel that way. However, continuously responding to their behaviour with kindness may have them rethinking their actions.
- Let them make some decisions. There are some decisions your loved one can make. Avoid treating them as if they are inept. Instead, consult them and give them opportunities to share their input.
- Don’t be afraid to bring in some back-ups. Ask for help from family members and hire the services of a PSW to give you some much-needed rest with respite care. The break can be useful for both of you.
Don’t Let Caregiving Duties Overwhelm You – Get Help from Home Instead
You don’t have to have a role reversal with your senior parent. Stay firm yet supportive as you assist your loved one. Be sure to reach out for assistance from the Home Instead Senior Care team in Mississauga. We offer you the help you need to keep the peace and ensure your aging parents are well cared for. We will work with you to develop a specialized plan which can include respite for you. Don’t delay; give us a call.
Additional Important Resources
Benefits: Learn how home care benefits you and your family.
Call for a free personalized Care Consultation (905) 276-2273
Service Area: The office of Home Instead Senior Care in Mississauga services the following areas: All Mississauga including: Clarkson, Cooksville, Dixie, Erin Mills, Erindale, Lakeview, Lorne Park, Port Credit, Sheridan, Streetsville