Tips from the Caring Team at Home Instead
Deciding to hire a professional caregiver may be the second hardest choice you and your senior will have to make. The most difficult one is finding the right personal support worker to step in and help your aging mom or dad. There are many things to consider when looking for the right person. By taking a moment to step back and assess what is needed and if you should hire privately or use an agency, will go a long way in helping you find the right match.
Finding the best help starts with knowing what you need. A senior caregiver from Home Instead Senior Care is a great place to start. We provide families and seniors with the support they need, so Mom and Dad can live in their house for as long as possible. We also support your elderly loved one with household duties, meal preparation, personal care, and companionship. You will not need to worry when our team is on-site.
4 Tips for Hiring a Personal Support Worker for Senior Care at Home
Ensuring that Mom and Dad can remain in their home is vital, but you cannot be there 24-hours a day, seven days a week. That is where home health care services can help. When you are ready to hire a caregiver for Mom or Dad, use these steps to set the ball rolling:
- Think through the type of care your loved one needs. Not all senior care is the same. Your mother may only need some light housekeeping while your aunt may need a skilled nurse to take her vitals. Before you go on a hunt for the perfect candidate, determine the type of care your loved one needs. Here are some questions you may want to answer:
- What are Dad’s limitations?
- What are some of Mom’s likes (and dislikes)?
- What do you expect the caregiver to do around the house and for your loved one?
- What kind of funds and insurance is available to help cover costs?
- Ask for referrals. Talk with family, friends, and medical professionals to find potential candidates.
- Decide if you want to hire a private caregiver or use an agency. Understand the pros and cons of each option and see what works better for you. Even if you decide you prefer a private caregiver, make sure you check their references thoroughly. With an agency, the background checks are already in place.
- Whenever possible, take time to get the new caregiver and your loved one acclimated to each other. Having a stranger in their home can be unnerving for your mom or dad. Help ease the transition by having your new caregiver shadow you and emphasize to your senior that this will help both of you.
Hire the Best Caregiver with Assistance from Home Instead
You don’t have to wring your hands in frustration over finding a fantastic caregiver for your elderly loved one. A compassionate personal support worker from Home Instead Senior Care in Richmond Hill & Vaughan is a natural choice. We stand ready to give you and your loved ones the help they need. We are happy to work with you and your family to establish a custom-designed schedule of services that benefits everyone and eases your senior’s concerns.
Additional Important information
Other Senior Care Services: There are many unexpected situations for which you are not prepared. Home Instead Senior Care Richmond Hill & Vaughan can help your family dealing with your special circumstances. Here some of our additional senior care services.
Benefits: Learn how home care benefits you and your family.
Quality Care: We are commitment to provide quality care for our clients. Read more about our Quality Home Care.
FAQ: Please visit our FAQ section to get answers to your questions about in home senior care in Richmond Hill & Vaughan.
Reviews: Read home care reviews from families in Richmond Hill & Vaughan.