Aging can bring about many difficult and tough conversations for families.
As loved ones age, questions often arise about health, financial choices, companionship, care, and end of life.
Many experts agree: By the time you approach age 40 and a loved one is around 70, you should have the “talk” about issues so many families want to avoid. Home Instead Vancouver refers to this concept as the 40/70 Rule®, a program designed to start important conversations early, before a crisis occurs.
In order to effectively communicate and provide support to our loved ones, it is important to follow these seven steps:
- Begin by observing the situation. Take the time to assess any potential concerns or needs before jumping to conclusions.
- Engage in a discussion with your loved one about your observations. If they deny the need for help, provide specific examples of behaviours or issues you have observed.
- Address concerns sooner rather than later. It is better to address potential issues as soon as they are observed, rather than waiting for the situation to worsen.
- Do not use baby talk or patronize your loved one. They are adults and must be treated with respect.
- Maximize independence. While providing care and assistance, it is important to allow the individual to maintain as much independence as possible.
- Be aware of the entire situation. In cases where a loved one has recently lost a spouse or partner, it may be necessary to provide additional support. Have a conversation about their needs and preferences.
- Seek help. Caregiving can be a demanding role and it is important to utilize resources in the community, such as professional caregivers or support groups, to ensure you are able to provide the best care possible.
In conclusion, the 40/70 Rule allows for effective communication early on with a focus on maximizing independence. This is key in providing support to your loved ones.
Do not hesitate to seek help when needed, as it is important to prioritize the well-being of both the caregiver and the loved one receiving care.
Call us at (604) 428-9977 for a complimentary Care Consult.
The 40-70 Rule® playbook offers more information about the communications challenges many families face and tips to help deal with them.
Download it here: https://www.homeinstead.com/contentassets/1b7000369d6a4b26a195f81347e0967c/4070-aging-plan-us_2020.pdf