Imagine a long day of frustration as you try to get things done. Chores need to be done around the house, groceries bought, and meals fixed, and a very stubborn parent grumbling in the background. Dealing with dad when he digs his heels in on a matter can leave you tired and agitated. What happened to your loving, joking father that used to tell silly jokes?
There are a variety of reasons why your once mild-mannered mother lashes out when you ask a question. Fear, anger, and isolation are a few ways your elderly may react to growing old. Caring for seniors takes patience, love, and a steady hand. A homecare helper from Home Instead Senior Care Kitchener-Waterloo, ON is trained to help families and their loved ones during this time of life.
6 Suggestions from Home Healthcare Professionals to Handle a Stubborn Parent
When you run into resistance from dad, it is vital to step back and use these suggestions to regroup and keep your relationship intact:
- Put Yourself in Their Shoes: Growing old is hard. Think of aging from your Dad’s perspective. You can no longer tie your shoelaces, or you have to give up a favourite hobby because your arthritis flares up. How would you feel as your independence is threatened? It is enough to make anyone a little grumpy.
- Have a Chat When He is Relaxed: The worst time to jump in and tell your father he is stubborn is when everyone’s emotions are stretched. Have a quiet discussion with him, ask questions, and stop to listen to what he is telling you. Avoid an attitude of condescension.
- Talk with Other Family Members: Ask your mother, brother, or sister if they have noticed dad acting differently. They may see something you have not and may be able to help talk with your parent.
- Make a Point to Spend More Time Together: Sometimes dad would like to see more of you. Maybe mom misses seeing her grandchildren. Find times outside of holidays to visit with your parents. If this is not easily accomplished, a hired senior care companion can help fill the void when you cannot be there.
- There May be Health Reasons for the Resistance: Infections like a UTI can turn your mother into a grump. New medications can have side effects that change behaviour. Consider going to your mom’s next doctor’s appointment and engaging in a conversation with her physician.
- Ask them to Help You: Sometimes you have to try a new tactic. Instead of pointing out the obvious, like mom needs some help keeping the house clean, suggest that you need help to ease your worry. Parents do not want to be a burden to their kids. If they think they will become a burden, they may be quicker to work with you more.
Stop Stubbornness with the Help of Senior Home Health Care
Readjusting how you handle your stubborn parent is paramount to getting the help they need. Sometimes having a third party involved can make a difference. A professional caregiver from Home Instead Senior Care can provide the extra support that helps dad remain independent.
Additional Important information
Other Senior Care Services: There are many unexpected situations for which you are not prepared. Home Instead Senior Care Kitchener-Waterloo, ON can help your family dealing with your special circumstances. Here some of our additional senior care services.
Benefits: Learn how home care benefits you and your family.
Quality Care: We are commitment to provide quality care for our clients. Read more about our Quality Home Care.
FAQ: Please visit our FAQ section to get answers to your questions about in home senior care in Kitchener-Waterloo, ON.