Technology and Senior Care Tips from the Team at Home Instead
Many seniors prefer to live in their own home. Aging in place presents a variety of challenges that should be recognized and fixed to ensure your elderly loved one is safe. Unfortunately, you need to not only focus on the physical aspects of reducing hazards. The aged are quickly succumbing to scams as well. Taking a few steps now can keep you or your senior safer in the home.
Living at home is possible when you prepare. The team from Home Instead Senior Care Mississauga understands this desire and works with you and your family to ensure that happens. We provide a variety of areas of help including companionship services, personal care, meals, transportation, and household duties.
We can help keep you or your loved one safe.
4 Areas to Focus on and Protect Seniors Living Alone
Start today to safeguard your home and yourself from safety hazards and scammers. Whether you are retired or joining the unretired, it is imperative that you take necessary steps to remain independent. Here are 4 main areas you should start in:
- Decluttering gives plenty of space to move without worrying about falling.
- Add anti-slip pads to the bottom of throw rugs.
- Install a stair lift if you have stairs to travel.
- Put a lamp close to your bed for those times you need to get up in the dark.
- Prevent slipping in the shower or bathtub with rubber mats and grab bars.
- Install an automatic garage door opener.
- Keep porch stairs in good condition.
- Get rid of clutter and debris from the driveway, porch, deck, and stairs.
- Maintain the yard to avoid trip hazards.
- Keep your car’s doors locked at all times.
- Conduct regular automobile upkeep and maintenance.
- Stay home when it is dark outside or take a friend.
- Park in well-lit areas when you reach your destination.
- Wear your seatbelt, always.
- Do not provide personal information to emails requesting said information.
- Do not trust unsolicited messages that ask you to transfer money to help someone.
- Use a strong Wi-Fi password and keep it safe.
- Look at the internet address of sites you visit frequently. There should be an “s” at the end of http to signify a secure site.
Protect Your Senior at Home with Help from Home Instead
Danger is just about everywhere. It can be in your home, outside, and through the internet. Protecting yourself or your elderly loved one starts with taking a timely step and building upon that. The team at Home Instead Senior Care has a variety of resources including a checklist to help scam proof your senior. Enlist the senior care services of one of our caring and highly-trained caregivers to help you live safely and independently in your home.
Additional Important Resources
Benefits: Learn how home care benefits you and your family.
Call for a free personalized Care Consultation (905) 276-2273
Service Area: The office of Home Instead Senior Care in Mississauga services the following areas: All Mississauga including: Clarkson, Cooksville, Dixie, Erin Mills, Erindale, Lakeview, Lorne Park, Port Credit, Sheridan, Streetsville